Saturday, January 10, 2015

Passed! VCP5-DCV Delta Exam - Exam code VCP550D

***01.11.16 I don't know if VMWare is being generous or they're getting desperate...  Exam has been extended AGAIN until March 31th 2016***

***05.21.15 Update: Looks like the exam was extended YET AGAIN until Sept 30th 2015***

***03.12.15 Update: Has this exam been extended again until May 8th 2015?***




https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=51919&ui=www_cert

Back in March 2014, VMware announced that their certifications will begin having expiration dates.  Existing VCPs have the option of taking the VCP5-DCV Delta exam to recertify.

 On December 11th, I received 4 emails stating my VCPs for ESX Server 2, VI 3, VCP 4, and VCP 5 were expiring in 3 months.  This email was the kick in the pants that I needed to begin studying for the Delta Exam.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Request authorization to retake the exam.  This process took about an hour.
 https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/login.cfm?ui=www_cert&RedirectURL=https%3A%2F%2Fmylearn%2Evmware%2Ecom%2FmgrSurvey%2FquizExtVerify%2Ecfm%3Fcourse%3D239201%26ui%3Dwww%5Fcert&sslRedirect=1

2.  Download the Exam Blueprint. Yeah, this was useless....  it pretty much included EVERYTHING!

3.  Participated in the free 1 hour What's New Fundamentals V5.5 course.
https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=51301

4.  I built up a fresh vSphere 5.5 lab using the vCenter Appliance.  My co-workers and I lovingly call it our "Ghetto Lab".  Nothing fancy but it get the basics done.

5.  When you register for the exam through Pearson Vue, you have 2 days to start and complete the exam.  The cost was a reasonable $120.

Although the exam details specify "new material" between 5.0/5.1 and 5.5, there were quite a few operational and general questions regarding vSphere 5.  Alot of the notes I took back in 2012 for the 5.1 exam were relevant for this delta exam.   That said, for my studies, I focused on the following new 5.5 features - vSAN, vSphere Flash Read Cache, vCOPS/vRealize, vSphere Replication and vDP.

My transcript was promptly updated the following day.

If you're a current VCP5-DCV, you have through March 10, 2015 to take the exam.

It's not too bad.  Study hard and Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment