Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Rescan Disks option Grayed Out

I recently recieved a request from one of our DBAs to extend a drive on a VM.  No problem right?  We've done it 1000's of times.

The VM was running Windows Server 2012 R2.  I extended out the drive/vmdk in VMware and consoled into the VM.  However, this time, the Rescan Disks option was grayed out. (or grEyed out for all my UK friends)


I was about to give the server a reboot, but decided give the following Powershell command a shot.

update-hoststoragecache


This resolved the issue, I was able to successfully extend the drive.  No reboot required.


May 15th 2018 - Confirmed this works on Server 2016.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Ken. I've been sat here for a good fifteen minutes getting very frustrated as to why I could not get my Thecus W5000 running Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials to recognise a newly inserted disk in one of the integral drive bays and that Powershell command came to the rescue. Still don't understand why Rescan Disks was disabled but thanks to this post it matters not :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found another work around. I had performed a scan for new hardware within device manager. After this, the option to rescan the disks returned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has saved me frustration MANY times. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same issue today on a 2012 R2 VM, and your solution worked for me! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. Saved me from restarting a machine I really didn't want to

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, this worked perfect as I did not want to restart a SQL server. Much Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. ditto thousands of times until today and then this. your fix worked.

    ReplyDelete