Saturday, November 8, 2014

Migrate to EC2: VM has more than one disk attached, which is not supported for VM migration

You've setup the AWS Management Portal/Connector for vCenter and are ready to migrate the appropriate workloads to EC2.  You power off the VM, Right Click and select "Migrate to EC2". 
Easy peasy, Right?  Well, it is until you receive the following error:

VM has more than one disk attached, which is not supported for VM migration


At this time, importing a VM with more than one disk is not supported.  Heck, most of my VMs have several VMDKs associated with them... 

Amazons work around is to import the VM with only the boot drive.  Then import any additional disks using the ec2-import-volume and ec2-attach-volume command.

I attempted to "trick" EC2 into thinking the VM had only one disk by selecting "Remove from virtual machine" in the settings.  Unfortunately, this produced the same error.


Since I didn't want to delete the vmdk from the original VM,  I created a clone of the VM with the "Remove from VM" setting selected.  This worked.


In my next post, I will go through the disk import and attach process.

No comments:

Post a Comment