Friday, June 16, 2017

VMWare vCenter Converter 6.1.1 works with vSphere 6.5

** Confirmed - I have successfully P2V'd a production SQL server managed by a vCenter 6.5 server. No Biggie**

I recently received a request to P2V an old Windows Server 2008 R2 server.  I'll be honest, the last time I used Converter was with version 5.X.

I go to VMware.com and the latest version of VMware Converter is 6.1.1.  This version was released back in February of 2016. This predates the release of vSphere 6.5.

Sure enough, in the VMware Converter document, it states that it only supports up to vCenter Server 6.0.  I'm running vSphere 6.5, time to test...

** Perform the VM conversion at your own risk. This is not a VMware supported configuration **

Fortunately, this version is very similar to previous versions I've used.  I installed the Converter application on the source VM and "let er run".  Nothing fancy, the default options were taken

Well, I lucked out and was able to successfully perform the migration.  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment