Tuesday, June 20, 2017

vSphere Web Client - Unmount Datastore Grayed out.

It was time to decommission one of our iSCSI datastores.  I ensured the following:
  • All VMs, snapshots and templates have been migrated off.
  • Datastore is not used for HA heartbeat
  • Not part of a datastore cluster.
  • Not configured as a coredump partition
  • Storage I/O Control disabled 
**Go through the complete unmounting a LUN checklist prior to unmounting a LUN: 


When I tried to unmount the datastore, using the vSphere Web Client, the option was grayed out...


Workaround: 
After going through the detailed checklist in VMware KB 2004605  I went OLD SCHOOL and used the VMware vSphere Client to log directly into the host using the Datastore.  Through the vSphere Client, I was able to successfully unmount the datastore.

FYI - You can still point your vSphere Client directly to an ESXi 6.5 host.


Jan 23rd 2018 Update:
It happened again, this time I used the web client pointed directly at the ESXi host to perform the unmount function:


No comments:

Post a Comment